Sunday, November 27, 2011

DIY Glove compartment light

Hey!

This weekend I managed to keep myself busy adding this this little but useful feature to my car. I have been facing a slight inconvenience in using my glove-box at nights due to lack of illumination and wondered if I can so something about it. Reaching for the dome light was not so convenient at all times.

So I inspected the thing, though for a few days and came up with something that can be done. Next was a shopping list. Electronic market in Sector 18, Chandigarh mostly fulfills all my odd shopping needs.

Here is an account of my little project.

Noticed that the Glove Box lid has a latch that catches a small loop attached to the underside of dashboard. This loop is further attached to a metal part that has 6 screws holding it from the underside. I took that peice out and it seemed like a good candidate to host the illumination stuff.

My plan was to attach some LEDs to the front of this part and provide a battery for powering them. It seemed not a good idea to tap into Car's own power supply for such a task. I also discovered that there was lot of hollow space between the dash and this metal part. So I decided to investigate it I can get the whole circuitry thing behind this metal piece.

I attached a big lump of modelling clay to this part and then tried putting it back and surprisingly there was LOT of space. Big enough to accommodate a standard 9V battery.

Those lumps were unmarked when the metal part was refitted suggesting enough hollow space behind it
Then there was a need for tiny circuits containing LEDs. After burning one LED while testing it with 9v battery, I figured out that there are some laws of physics to take care of as well so that I can use the 9V battery with those LEDs without blowing them up.

There are many helpful websites out there to help with the electronic calculations. I came to know that a 330 Ohm resistor is also needed along with two LEDs in series to balance the Current, Power and Voltage calculations.

Next step was to build those tiny PCBs that hold this arrangement:

The two pieces on the right were cut from this larger PCB readily available at electronic shops
X marks the place where I will drill holes for screws
Left over screws from PC components were used to secure those PCBs in the metal housing
Ready to accept components now
Here. Two LEDs and a resistor. Still to be soldered together

Components soldered and ready. The pieces are small and were hard to work with
Next step was to arrange for placement of these LEDs in the metal housing. Two holes for LEDs and one hole for the screw to pass through were needed.

Challenge was to drill those holes really precisely so that the LEDs should fit flush and the hole for screw should match the hole in PCB perfectly or else PCB may break or LEDs may be dislodged if force is used to fit them.

Some tips on drilling holes learned from my father few years ago came in handy here :-). Job was well done!
 
Drilled a hole, then another one precisely 7mm away from first one. Then used a bigger drill-bit to make those tapers

LED fitted from behind. Very neat. Screw is yet to come.
After those two, a third hole was drilled to allow the screws through.

Then came the circuitry. I followed the advice in internet to create my own circuit. It will use 4 LEDs two sets of LEDs connected in series. Each set then further connected in parallel. A diagram was drawn to understand it better. Tested it in a jig and then set out with the soldering and stuff.

The schematic containing all the components needed. Those are the standard symbols for LED, resistor, switch and battery

The switch was needed to make sure the LEDs are not always ON. They should light up only when needed that is, when the glove-box is opened. Hence a Micro-Switch was placed close to the metal latch and the circuit was caused to flow through this switch.

Used an old deodorant can to create a holder for on-off switch.
Here it is. The metal sheet, small PCB containing the switch and wiring running through it. I cannot find a better solution to this. Still think it is the ugliest part of the whole project.
Wiring all done. Battery was attached using a wire-tie so that it is easily replaceable when dead. Used a Duracell so that it lasts long enough.


Here is everything complete. I also used a glue-gun to hold wires in place. [Click to enlarge]

LEDs lighting up when the switch is released.
This done and installed in the glove box, I was now eagerly waiting for night so that I can see the effect of these tiny LEDs.

Wait ended in a few hours and to my surprise they work great! See for yourself (Excuse me f:or the graininess of images)

A view from the driver seat

Viewed from the front passenger seat.

That was all. All the components used cost less than Rs 200. The battery alone was above Rs 150. That excludes the cost of a Glue-Gun that was purchased for Rs 290.

Please leave your comments and questions if any. Why not give it a try?

See ya for now!

1 comment: